If you need more space for an iOS update
When you're updating your iOS device wirelessly, you might see a message that there's not enough space on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. These steps can help.
During a wireless update, you might see a message that says the update can't be installed because it needs more space than you have on your device. If you see this message, there are a few ways you can update your device:
- Plug your device into your computer and update using iTunes.
- Manually remove content from your device and try to update again.
- Manage the storage on your device with recommendations.
Update using iTunes
To download the latest version of iOS using iTunes, follow these steps:
- Install the latest version of iTunes on your computer.
- Plug your device into your computer.
- In iTunes, select your device.
- In the Summary pane, click Check for Update.
- Click Download and Update.
Delete content manually
If there isn't enough space to download and install an update, iOS tries to make more space. It temporarily removes some downloadable parts of installed apps. You shouldn't need to remove or relocate any content. But in some cases, it's necessary to manually delete some content.
In the Usage Settings menu, you can see how much space your apps use and delete the ones you don't need. You can download your purchased apps or other content again later. Follow these steps:
- Tap Settings > General > Storage & iCloud Usage > Manage Storage.
- Select any app to see how much space it uses, and tap Delete App to remove it. Some apps, such as Music and Videos, let you delete parts of their documents and data.
- Install the iOS update again. Tap Settings > General > Software Update.
You can also reduce the size of your Photo library by turning on iCloud Photo Library and Optimizing your device storage.
Manage space with recommendations in iOS 11 and later
In the iPhone Storage menu in iOS 11, you can manage the storage on your device. You can see which apps take up the most space, or you can delete or offload an app or some of its content. You can download your purchased apps or other content again later.
To see the iPhone Storage menu, tap Settings > General > iPhone Storage. In the Recommendations section, you can see tips for how to save space and how to offload or delete apps and content you don't need.